The ideal holiday for those seeking relaxation for mind and body; Italy's spas cannot be beaten for the variety and sheer amount of travel ideas: spa resorts with great charm, a rich history and often, in settings of absolute beauty. The alternative to this new craze for spas and wellness centres on camp sites, these health spa resorts take us back to a simplicity that has been handed down through the centuries. Below is a short list of spa resorts not to be missed when seeking a relaxing, wellness weekend, together with links to the nearest camp sites:
- Pré-Saint-Didier (Aosta Valley): an enchanting location of rare beauty, where the waters are both beneficial and relaxing. The baths offer views over the mountains.
- Terme Merano (Bolzano, Trentino Alto Adige): mountain landscapes, excursions and winter sports. At Terme Merano it is possible to tailor your holiday to suit your own needs, in the contemporary architectural surroundings that recall a town dedicated to wellness.
- Sirmione (Brescia, in Lombardy): the stunning Lake Garda, and a city rich in history, which also offers the wellness spa treatments of Terme di Sirmione.
- Saturnia (Manciano - Grosseto, Tuscany): the sulphurous waters create charming waterfalls, such as the exceptional Cascate del Mulino. Enchanting spots, surrounded by the wild, uncontaminated nature of the Maremma Nature Reserve.
- Fiuggi Terme (Frosinone, Lazio): an hour’s drive from Rome and the ideal location for a surprise romantic stay when visiting the capital. The baths at Fiuggi are well known for the beneficial properties of their water, for the treatment and prevention of kidney problems.